ChemADVISOR understands how critical it is for companies that manufacture, import, process, or use chemicals in the US to possess the fundamental understandings of how the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) affects their businesses. This three-day course is designed to provide TSCA practitioners, both new and experienced, with the tools needed to perform their daily work. The course will use interactive instruction with a focus on today’s TSCA, where electronic reporting is the norm for Section 5 notices and other submissions.
Students attending this course will learn about all of the major requirements under the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) new and existing chemicals programs. They will also learn how to:
- find the information that they’ll need to do their jobs on a daily basis;
- determine the TSCA Inventory status of the chemicals that their companies manufacture, import, process, or use; and,
- prepare PMNs and Section 5 exemption applications using EPA’s e-PMN software.
In addition, students will be provided with citations to the relevant sections of the TSCA statute and the corresponding EPA regulations, as well as applicable Agency guidance documents, for all of the major requirements under TSCA. Finally, they will be provided with hard copy handouts prepared by ChemADVISOR and electronic versions of EPA guidance documents, all of which will serve as handy references going forward.
This course covers all sections of the TSCA regulation with an emphasis on Section 5 notifications and Section 8 and other reporting requirements.
This course is designed to provide a solid base of knowledge for those new to TSCA and as a practical learning experience and refresher for more experienced practitioners. Thus, there are no knowledge or course prerequisites. However, all students must either:
- bring their own notebook or laptop computer, or
- request to use a ChemADVISOR laptop at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.
To get the full benefit of this course, students should also:
- register with EPA’s Central Data Exchange (CDX);
- add the Chemical Safety and Pesticides Programs (CSPP) service; and
- select a user role.
Instructions for completing these steps will be provided in an e-mail message that you’ll receive after registering for this course. Once you complete this process, you’ll be able to access the cloud-based e-PMN Software (aka the Thin Client), from any computer connected to the internet, by logging in to CDX.
Objectives and Review of Course Materials
Part 1: Introduction to TSCA
1. TSCA Regulatory Perspective
2. History and Background Information
3. TSCA Information Sources
Exercise for Module 3
4. The TSCA Inventory
Exercise for Module 4
Part 2: New Chemicals Program
5. Premanufacture Notification for New Chemical Substances
Exercise for Module 5
6. Premanufacture Notification Exemptions
Exercise for Module 6
7. Significant New Use Rules
Exercise for Module 7
8. Reporting Requirements for Microorganisms (Optional)
Part 3: Section 5 Notice Preparation
9. Section 5 Notice Preparation
a.The e-PMN Final Rule
b. Instructions for Reporting
c. Scenario Parts I, II, and III
d. EPA’s PMN Review Process
Part 4: Existing Chemicals Program
10. Reporting and Retention of Information
Exercise for Module 10
11. Testing of Chemical Substances and Mixtures
Exercise for Module 11
12. Regulation of Hazardous Chemical Substances and Mixtures
Exercise for Module 12
13. Chemical Exports and Imports
Exercise for Module 13
Part 5: Enforcement, Compliance and Wrap-Up
14. TSCA Enforcement and Compliance
15. Course Wrap-Up
Upcoming Course Dates
|Event Dates||Location *||Event Registration|
|To Be Determined||Your Facility||Request Form|
|Oct 25, 2016 - Oct 27, 2016||Pittsburgh, PA||Registration|
- Unless otherwise stated, all full day courses run from 8:30 am – 4:30pm. Half day courses will run from 8:30 am – noon.
- Upon registration for a full day course you will be sent a welcome packet including hotel recommendations and directions.
- All slides, handouts and manuals are included in the course price where applicable.
- Lunch during full day courses is included.
- All travel expenses to and from the ChemADVISOR facilities, including hotel expenses, are not included in the course price.
- Payment is due in advance of the scheduled course date.
- Click here regarding pricing for this or any of our other courses.
- For more training information email firstname.lastname@example.org
14 days prior to start of course - Full refund
7 days prior to start of course - 50% refund
Less than 7 days - no refund
ChemADVISOR reserves the right to reschedule training up to two weeks prior to the scheduled course start date.