This two-day course is designed to provide attendees with essential information regarding chemical regulatory programs administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). This is an introductory course that assumes no prior knowledge of the subject matter on the part of attendees. As such, it will enable those who are new to TSCA to quickly get up-to-speed regarding the major requirements of this far-reaching regulatory program. However, it will also serve as an excellent refresher for those who already have some experience working with TSCA. At the conclusion of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Recognize when a particular business situation has potential TSCA implications;
- Identify TSCA requirements that apply to their employers’ or their clients’ operations;
- Determine what actions are required to comply with those requirements; and
- Find critical information regarding applicable regulatory provisions, when necessary.
This course provides an overview of all of TSCA’s major requirements, with an emphasis on requirements and exemptions for new chemical substances under TSCA Section 5. It also provides practical insights into the impacts of these requirements on chemical manufacturers, importers, processors, and users, as well as recommendations for dealing with these impacts.
This course covers the full range of regulations promulgated by EPA and by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) under the TSCA, including those pertaining to:
- Premanufacture Notification for New Chemical Substances;
- Premanufacture Notification Exemptions;
- Significant New Uses of Chemical Substances;
- Reporting Requirements for Microorganisms;
- Preliminary Assessment Information Reporting;
- Chemical Data Reporting;
- Allegations of Significant Adverse Reactions;
- Health and Safety Data Reporting;
- Testing of Chemical Substances and Mixtures;
- Regulation of Hazardous Chemical Substances and Mixtures;
- Export Notification; and
- Import Certification.
It also covers the self-implementing statutory provisions pertaining to Notifications of Substantial Risk under TSCA Section 8(e), as well as a number of voluntary chemical management programs administered by EPA’s Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT).
The course material is divided into 14 modules, as shown below.
- Course Objectives and Content
History and Background Information
TSCA Information Sources
The TSCA Inventory
Premanufacture Notification for New Chemical Substances
Premanufacture Notification Exemptions
Significant New Use Rules
Reporting Requirements for Microorganisms
Reporting and Retention of Information
Testing of Chemical Substances and Mixtures
Regulation of Hazardous Chemical Substances and Mixtures
Chemical Exports and Imports
TSCA Enforcement and Compliance
These modules will be presented in the order indicated. There is also an exercise which is intended to reinforce key concepts. This exercise will be completed in three parts, following modules 4, 8, and 12.
There are no prerequisites.
This course is worth 2.17 Industrial Hygiene CM Points
- 2009 (Approval #: 09-631)
- 2010 (Approval #: 10-2914)
- 2011 (Approval #: 10-3877)
Upcoming Course Dates
|Event Dates||Location *||Event Registration|
|To Be Determined||Your Facility||Request Form|